The Rainbow Centre is set to close in its current location during 2020-21 due to the regeneration of the estate. We are planning to relocate (temporarily or permanently) to Totteridge Academy in the course of 2020. We are keen to make sure that everyone can continue accessing the centre. We are also keen to find out what services and facilities people think are important to have in the local area. Please help us by filling in a short, anonymous survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9CJ8RL3
We are thrilled that Rainbow Money Advice won Community Group of the Year Award at the Barnet Homes/Barnet Goup Customer Awards in December 2019.
Our thanks and congratulations to our brilliant and tireless volunteer money and debt advisor, Stuart Goodman, who supports almost 100 people a year.
Read more here about the Award evening: https://thebarnetgroup.org/bh/2019/12/17/you-are-all-stars-in-our-eyes/
Of course, we are a little sad that our new partners, BreadnButter, who were nominated in the same category, did not win ….
This is the second award for BCP and our volunteers: last year, Jeannette Catlin, won Volunteer of the Year (over 25) for her contribution to our Felix Project.
News from Rainbow Money Advice
Don’t get involved with a loan shark – yule regret it!
The England Illegal Money Lending Team* are warning people not to turn to loan sharks to cover the cost of Christmas.
Loan sharks are unlicensed lenders that charge extortionate amounts of interest. They have been known to use threatening language, intimidation and even violence when demanding payments from their victims.
- All money lenders require proper permission from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to lend money and those who do not are acting illegally.
- Avoid loan sharks because they will make a difficult financial situation much worse.
- If you need to borrow money, check the lender is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- There are legitimate services you can access for help with money, such as credit unions, which offer safe saving and affordable loans options. Find your nearest Credit Union.
- You are not in trouble if you have borrowed cash or have been paying back a loan from an illegal money lender. The loan shark is because they are the people committing a crime, not you.
- You can safely report a loan shark to the Illegal Money Lending Team on 0300 555 2222 or fill out the online form.
- You can also obtain help from Rainbow Money Advice by emailing Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org,uk or phone/text 07981 760 399.
*The England Illegal Money Lending Teams have secured more than 394 prosecutions for illegal money lending and related activity, leading to nearly 480 years’ worth of custodial sentences and have helped over 29,000 people.
Please watch and share this short video featuring young Londoners talking about a capital free from poverty.
The video was launched 17th October 2019 by the 4 in 10 Network (which includes Rainbow Money Advice) at the London Child Poverty Summit.
What would a London free from poverty mean for you?