News from Rainbow Money Advice
Don’t get involved with a loan shark – yule regret it!
The England Illegal Money Lending Team* are warning people not to turn to loan sharks to cover the cost of Christmas.
Loan sharks are unlicensed lenders that charge extortionate amounts of interest. They have been known to use threatening language, intimidation and even violence when demanding payments from their victims.
- All money lenders require proper permission from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to lend money and those who do not are acting illegally.
- Avoid loan sharks because they will make a difficult financial situation much worse.
- If you need to borrow money, check the lender is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- There are legitimate services you can access for help with money, such as credit unions, which offer safe saving and affordable loans options. Find your nearest Credit Union.
- You are not in trouble if you have borrowed cash or have been paying back a loan from an illegal money lender. The loan shark is because they are the people committing a crime, not you.
- You can safely report a loan shark to the Illegal Money Lending Team on 0300 555 2222 or fill out the online form.
- You can also obtain help from Rainbow Money Advice by emailing Stuart at email@example.com,uk or phone/text 07981 760 399.
*The England Illegal Money Lending Teams have secured more than 394 prosecutions for illegal money lending and related activity, leading to nearly 480 years’ worth of custodial sentences and have helped over 29,000 people.
Please watch and share this short video featuring young Londoners talking about a capital free from poverty.
The video was launched 17th October 2019 by the 4 in 10 Network (which includes Rainbow Money Advice) at the London Child Poverty Summit.
What would a London free from poverty mean for you?
This Friday is St Patricks Day, so our Community Kitchen is doing a traditional meal to celebrate. 3 courses including Boiled bacon and mash. Come along and join in the fun and maybe have a dance?
Please let me know if you can make it so we can cater for you. Our Community Kitchen provides a healthy 3 course meal for £1 every Friday at 1pm. The food is prepared by people in the community for the community and is a place where we enjoy being community together. (so basically community!)
What is the Community Kitchen?
It’s pretty much what it sounds like! A weekly event each Friday at the Rainbow Centre where you can come and
eat great food with other people. We only ask for £1 and there are usually 3 courses.
FRIDAYS FROM 1ish
only £1 a meal
On Friday the 22nd of November we will be screening the film “The UK Gold”, doors open at 19:00 with the film starting at 19:30. Please feel free to bring a bottle and maybe a cushion! we’ve plenty of chairs but they can be a little hard after an hour or so.
Don’t worry if you need to skip dinner, we will have a warm buffet. The event is free but donations are very welcome and please be sure to fill in the brief form at the bottom of this page to reserve your place. All money raised will go to BCP to support the work we do.
The film has been really well received please follow this link to learn more.