Read this for information about free Covid-19 support from: voluntary groups, central government and Barnet Council:
There are several voluntary groups that provide free support for people needing help self-isolating (e.g. picking up shopping, sending post, or a friendly chat).
Details can be found by following this website link: https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/
Details of a Finchley service are shown below. They also have volunteers in postcode EN5 and will provide support for people living there. Phone 07565 321 508, email email@example.com, or request assistance at helpme.mutualaid.co.uk
Central Government support
Help is available by following this link to the government website https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
This is for people to register if they have a medical condition that makes them extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. For example, they’ll be able to ask for help getting deliveries of essential supplies like food.
If you’re not sure whether your medical condition makes you extremely vulnerable, register anyway.
This service is free. You can register yourself, or register for someone else.
If you, a family member, friend, or close member of your community are in need of urgent help that is not medical related, then contact Barnet Council through their urgent support helpline.
Phone: 0808 281 3210
This phone line is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Further information is available from the Barnet Council website via this link:
News from Rainbow Money Advice
Don’t get involved with a loan shark – yule regret it!
The England Illegal Money Lending Team* are warning people not to turn to loan sharks to cover the cost of Christmas.
Loan sharks are unlicensed lenders that charge extortionate amounts of interest. They have been known to use threatening language, intimidation and even violence when demanding payments from their victims.
- All money lenders require proper permission from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to lend money and those who do not are acting illegally.
- Avoid loan sharks because they will make a difficult financial situation much worse.
- If you need to borrow money, check the lender is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- There are legitimate services you can access for help with money, such as credit unions, which offer safe saving and affordable loans options. Find your nearest Credit Union.
- You are not in trouble if you have borrowed cash or have been paying back a loan from an illegal money lender. The loan shark is because they are the people committing a crime, not you.
- You can safely report a loan shark to the Illegal Money Lending Team on 0300 555 2222 or fill out the online form.
- You can also obtain help from Rainbow Money Advice by emailing Stuart at firstname.lastname@example.org,uk or phone/text 07981 760 399.
*The England Illegal Money Lending Teams have secured more than 394 prosecutions for illegal money lending and related activity, leading to nearly 480 years’ worth of custodial sentences and have helped over 29,000 people.
Please watch and share this short video featuring young Londoners talking about a capital free from poverty.
The video was launched 17th October 2019 by the 4 in 10 Network (which includes Rainbow Money Advice) at the London Child Poverty Summit.
What would a London free from poverty mean for you?
THE RAINBOW CENTRE JOB CLUB
Job club is back for another year and better than ever, every Thursday at the rainbow centre, please contact the Rainbow centre on 0208 441 9837 for times.
Please see attached map for directions
- Are you worried about money ?
- Struggling to control your finances?
- Unable to pay your bills ?
- Being visited by bailiffs?
- Having problems with your benefits?
Being made homless by your landlord?
We offer free, confidential and impartial money advice at the Rainbow Centre every Tuesday.
Please contact Stuart for more information or to book a slot , we recommend you call first as it gets really busy on Tuesdays. Stuart 07981760399
This Friday’s Community Kitchen
Our famous home made mushroom soup served with crusty bread
Cumberland sausage served with mash and onion gravy
*Vegetarian option available
Delicious home made strawberry cheese cake
As always our 3 course meal costs £1pp
We aim to have the first course ready by 1pm but can sometimes run a little late.