Junior Leaders is a youth development programme for 13-16 year-olds on Dollis Valley Estate and surrounding area.
The programme runs all-year around with fornightly meetings during term-time and volunteering activities and a residential during the holidays.
The programme develops young people’s confidence, core life skills and sense of responsibility through workshops on topics like personal development, conflict resolution and public speaking. Sessions are interactive, with guided learning, role play, individual and team activities. Participants also gain experience of peer reflection and in taking on a role in the planning of the centre and its activities. They get opportunities to do external training in e.g. sports coaching and first aid.
The Junior Leaders work as volunteers on our lunch club during the holidays, delivering activities and mentoring children.
To date, Junior Leaders have:
- created a youth notice board
- started working with our director on our London Youth Bronze accreditation
- done a SWAT analysis of High Barnet
- written book reviews
- made a trip to Allianz Park for an NFL training session
- taken part on a residential at London Youth’s Hindleap Warren outdoor activity centre
- trained as MathsMakers and delivered boxing, dance, other sports, Mathsmakers and Spelling Bee sessions at Lunch Club
- Six completed an ABAE non-contact boxing tutor award
- Four took part in a business challenge based on the BBC’s The Apprentice. They planned and ran a stall at 2018 Barnet Christmas Fair selling household products
Sessions run every other Thursday from 5pm to 7pm during term-time.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN, CONTACT STEVE on 020 8441 9837 or email@example.com